Tuesday, 28 June 2011
I-HEART: We're All In This Together - Trailer
This is the trailer to the Hillsong United film 'I-Heart Revolution'. Joel Houston really strikes a chord with some of the things he shares from his first hand experiences of global poverty. In particular, statements such as: "It's not fair that we can sit and watch the evening news from the comfort of our living rooms, and pity those who have lived where the storm hit, or where the ground shook, or where that water rose and simply feel sorry for them, and then change the channel and get on with supper", really make you squirm, because we know we do it.
I haven't worked out my stance on the I-Heart Revolution movement, I don't know enough about the motivations behind it to make a value judgement. What I do think, it that it's really easy to be critical of films like this and see them pejoratively, because we don't necessarily agree with the theological standpoint of the organisations behind them. However, having watched the film in whole, it really challenged me to think about what exactly I am doing to help those who are not in a position to help themselves. Whilst I don't know enough to be able to say categorically that Hillsong United lean more toward the mission than the evangelism approach, maybe we should be inspired by the way they use their prominence and worldwide success, to highlight the plights of the needy.
Next time I watch the news or see some injustices committed, I'd like to respond in the way God would want me to - with concern and compassion, instead of turning a blind eye.
Labels:
Hillsong United,
Mission,
social gospel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment