Tuesday, 5 July 2011

Daily bread.

I'm in the midst of organising a fundraiser for famine relief in East Africa. Estimates suggest that up to 7 million people will be affected as a result of the severe droughts that have hit the region over the past few months.

I feel wrong saying this, but I questioned my decision about whether it was right to raise money for something that deals with primarily a physical, and not a spiritual need. I think my doubts sadly reflect the unnecessary caution we sometimes have about doing things that don't directly involve word ministry from the outset. I am certainly not advocating a ministry that doesn't include propounding the word - in fact I guess that's a paradox.  My conclusion was that, I just couldn't justify doing nothing and mindlessly spending £3 on my bland latté, whilst millions of people who quite literally, have barely any possessions and minimal help from the governments responsible for them, are starving. How can we begin to tell people about Jesus if they are barely existing and we're not prepared to show them Jesus through our actions as well?

Thankfully, the money raised from the event will go directly to a Bishop in Kenya who provides aid relief. My hope is that, as they receive food and other provisions, the recipients will get a glimpse of the generosity of God (as displayed by his people) and turn to him, for their daily bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment